Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Stuff, stuff and more stuff

Stuff, stuff and more stuff

 

Perhaps you've seen the promo on 9News by now:  Matt Renoux and myself surrounded by cases and cases of STUFF.  Those aren't props people!  Those cases have already been shipped to Vancouver for our coverage of the Olympics.  Scary part: that's not the last of it.

 

I don't know what was in those cases and quite frankly I'm afraid to ask for fear I'll be taught how to use whatever is inside... old dog, new tricks, not on this trip please.  I've already learned how to shoot and edit and that's scary enough.  Oh and all that STUFF (camera, laptop, tripod, battery charger, etc) wasn't even with the STUFF that was already shipped.  No, I'm responsible for hauling it to DIA and making sure it arrives safe in another country... they trust me too much.

 

Actually I lied about not know what was in ALL the cases.  Renoux (we are already on a last name basis) and I split a case.  So our Sorrels, heavy jackets, and sweaters are all touching each other.  Good thing we aren't afraid of cooties. 

 

I'm really glad we sent all our sub-zero wear too: it's been too warm for snow to stay on Cypress Mountain where the snowboarding and freestyle events take place.  Its just 20 minutes outside of Vancouver.  Probably should have sent up my spring wardrobe (I don't have one, it just sounds fancy).

 

But back to the STUFF.  So we've already shipped a you-know-what-load of it to Vancouver and there's more equipment to take.  Then there's the issue of packing personal belongings for a 25 day stint away from home.  I've tried to block this thought from my mind because it's a little overwhelming and here's why:

 

On top of working 16-18 hour days, I'm going to attempt to fit in training for my full Ironman which is right around the corner on May 1st.  So I need work clothes and workOUT clothes. 

 

Herein lies my problem:  I think I own, in general, more workout related clothing than nice clothes for work.  I love them.  I have more layers than an onion and those layers can take up a lot of room in a suitcase.  I'm afraid by the time I pack my workout clothes (which will be packed first), there won't be any room for nice STUFF. 

 

It wouldn't be the first time this has been an issue.  This idiosyncrasy of mine drives my husband mad... which is why he has his own bag for packing - there is no sharing (unless he has room for some of my STUFF).

 

Time will tell how the personal packing goes.  Matt and I take off on February 6th and start going live in the evening newscasts sometime the following week before the games begin.

 

And if you see me in workout STUFF, you'll know why.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment